Seeking to nail the Congress’ lie over Narendra Modi’s caste issue, the BJP today said it was the then Chhabildas Mehta government that granted OBC status to Modh Ghanchis in 1994 and not the current Gujarat dispensation as being claimed.
“It was on July 25, 1994 that the then Congress government in Gujarat granted OBC status to Modh Ghanchis, a caste to which Narendra Modi belonged, based on the recommendations of the Baxi Commission.
Shaktisinh Gohil, who has levelled allegations of Modi being a ‘fake OBC’, was a minister in the Mehta government at that time,” BJP senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu pointed out.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
“The Congress has been claiming that Modi granted OBC status to his own caste after he became Chief Minister in 2001 but the fact is otherwise,” Venkaiah Naidu told a press conference here this afternoon.
It was in sheer desperation that the Congress has raked up Modi’s caste issue now after all its other attempts to run him down failed, he said.
“They accused Modi of indulging in neech rajniti (low-level politics). Neech rajniti kya hota hai? Who is indulging in it? Is it the Rs 1.70 lakh crore coal scam, Rs 1.8 lakh crore 2G spectrum scam, cash-for-votes (during UPA-1 when MPs were purchased for voting on the nuclear deal), sugar scam or wheat scam…,” Venkaiah questioned.
He said the people’s verdict was not far away and the Congress would be thrown into history books. It would mark the end of family rule in the country.
“It’s only a matter of less than a week. People have overwhelmingly voted for Modi and the NDA. The NDA will win 300 plus seats and there will not be any need for seeking support from anybody,” the senior BJP leader said.
Replying to a question, Venkaiah denied claims that Modi was trying to “woo” leaders like Mamata Banerjee, Jayalalithaa and others into the NDA fold.
“Modi is not trying to woo anybody. We are not arrogant. If someone comes to support us, we will not turn it down. But we will not go to anyone on our own and seek support,” he asserted.