Seeking to nail the Congress’ lie over Narendra Modi’s caste issue, the BJP today said it was the then Chhabildas Mehta government that granted OBC status to Modh Ghanchis in 1994 and not the current Gujarat dispensation as being claimed.
“It was on July 25, 1994 that the then Congress government in Gujarat granted OBC status to Modh Ghanchis, a caste to which Narendra Modi belonged, based on the recommendations of the Baxi Commission.
Shaktisinh Gohil, who has levelled allegations of Modi being a ‘fake OBC’, was a minister in the Mehta government at that time,” BJP senior leader M Venkaiah Naidu pointed out.
“The Congress has been claiming that Modi granted OBC status to his own caste after he became Chief Minister in 2001 but the fact is otherwise,” Venkaiah Naidu told a press conference here this afternoon.
It was in sheer desperation that the Congress has raked up Modi’s caste issue now after all its other attempts to run him down failed, he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“They accused Modi of indulging in neech rajniti (low-level politics). Neech rajniti kya hota hai? Who is indulging in it? Is it the Rs 1.70 lakh crore coal scam, Rs 1.8 lakh crore 2G spectrum scam, cash-for-votes (during UPA-1 when MPs were purchased for voting on the nuclear deal), sugar scam or wheat scam…,” Venkaiah questioned.
He said the people’s verdict was not far away and the Congress would be thrown into history books. It would mark the end of family rule in the country.
“It’s only a matter of less than a week. People have overwhelmingly voted for Modi and the NDA. The NDA will win 300 plus seats and there will not be any need for seeking support from anybody,” the senior BJP leader said.
Replying to a question, Venkaiah denied claims that Modi was trying to “woo” leaders like Mamata Banerjee, Jayalalithaa and others into the NDA fold.
“Modi is not trying to woo anybody. We are not arrogant. If someone comes to support us, we will not turn it down. But we will not go to anyone on our own and seek support,” he asserted.