With allegations surfacing that Saradha Group was favoured in getting a contract from IRCTC, a railway catering and tourism wing, State Congress president Adhir Chowdhury on Thursday demanded that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee resign from her post till Saradha probe was over.
“It has to be seen at what time this contract was signed as the Railway Ministry was with the Trinamool Congress from 2009 till the middle of 2012. Mamata Banerjee herself was the Railway minister from 2009- May 2011. The CBI should interrogate her to find out the truth of the contract,” Chowdhury, former MoS, Railways in the previous UPA-II government, told a press conference here.
He further said, “The chief minister projects herself as symbol of honesty and integrity. If she is really so honest, then she should resign from her post and cooperate with the Saradha probe.”
Chowdhury’s demand follows allegations by opposition parties that the Saradha Group was favoured in getting a contract from the IRCTC.
The TMC reacted to it by alleging that CBI, which is probing the multi-crore chit fund scam, is being used as a political weapon by the
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
“Earlier, CBI was known as the Congress Bureau of Investigation. CBI has not changed its character,” TMC all-India general secretary Mukul Roy said.
“CBI is not an autonomous organisation which works on its own. CBI works as a political organisation,” he alleged.
On the Opposition parties’ charge that Saradha Group-owned Saradha Tours and Travels had been unduly favoured by IRCTC, Roy, a former Railway minister, stated, “I am not aware of anything. The treaty was done before I took over. It must have been done through proper tendering process.”
“There are a lot of organisations such as the CAG or the Railway Audit to look into the treaty,” he said.