Dubbing the telecast of Narendra Modi’s Varanasi roadshow and his filing of nomination papers as a “flagrant violation” of the model code, the Congress party on Thursday demanded registration of FIR against the BJP PM nominee.
“We do not want just issuing of notice. We want action. FIR should be registered against all BJP leaders involved including the candidate from Varanasi,” party spokesman and Union Minister Anand Sharma told reporters.
Insisting that the telecast of Modi’s roadshow and his filing of nomination has “gravely violated” the model code, Sharma alleged that this was done as part of a “well-planned” scheme of BJP to influence the voters in the constituencies going to the polls today.
He said the law was very clear that there cannot be canvassing on the polling day.
Noting that the BJP programme was an elaborate affair and the telecast took place from 8 AM till 3 PM, Sharma wondered as to “why the EC was not alert” and why the media was not told against telecasting it in the constituencies having polling on Thursday.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Claiming that the development was “without precedent”, he said what has happened was “unacceptable”.
Sharma downplayed a question when asked that there was polling in Tripura when Rahul Gandhi had filed his nomination in Amethi which was shown live all over the country. He said that on Thursday the constituencies involved were 117, the second largest number of seats having polling in a single day in the nine-phase elections.
“We expect the EC to take appropriate action. It is a very flagrant violation of the Represention of People Act,” he said in reply to a question.
“We will wait for the response of the EC,” Sharma said when asked whether the party will demand a repoll in all the 117 constituencies.
Asked whether Congress planned to approach the President on the issue, he merely said, “Let us take one step at a time.”
The 117 constituencies cover 11 states and Union Territory of Puducherry in the sixth phase of Lok Sabha elections. Fate of 2076 candidates will be decided by 18 crore voters in the polls today in which stakes are high for Congress, BJP and number of other parties like AIADMK, DMK, NCP and Shiv Sena.