Congress on Friday demanded a CBI probe into the fire which broke out in a hotel room here yesterday where Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was staying while campaigning for April 24 Lok Sabha poll.
Union minister and WBPCC Chief Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury told reporters after addressing an election meeting here that a CBI investigation could unravel the “mystery” behind the incident.
Although Trinamool Congress was saying that there was a “conspiracy” behind the fire, Chowdhury said it was “surprising” that no action was taken against the personnel who were in charge of Banerjee’s security.
Describing the incident as “mysterious”, Chowdhury said only a CBI probe could solve it.
Meanwhile, a Forensic team is arriving here today to examine the room and collect samples.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The fire officials and the district police were already examining the spot to ascertain the cause of the fire.
State Transport minister Madan Mitra reiterated today that there was a ‘conspiracy’ behind the fire.
The conspirators should be identified, he said.
Mitra, who was accompanying the Chief Minister in her campaigning, was staying on the third floor of the hotel with actor-politician Mithun Chakraborty when the fire broke out.
Banerjee had a narrow escape after the fire broke out.
The police said that the AC in the room caught fire while Banerjee was inside the toilet. She felt uneasy after inhaling the smoke and shouted the name of an aide who came to her rescue by pulling her out of the smoke-filled room.