Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde’s controversial remarks dubbing the Delhi Chief Minister as “mad” were downplayed by the Congress on Thursday which said he was only referring to Arvind Kejriwal being “ignorant” in running the affairs of the government.
“If you go into the local dialect the word “yeda” used by Shinde (in Marathi) is interchangeable with the word “bawala” being used in Hindi which means “nasamajh” (ignorant),” party spokesman Randip Surjewala told reporters.
He said all that the Home Minister was pointing out was that the Chief Minister had “lack of appropriate knowledge of law and constitution and responsibility of governance”.
“To attribute any other motive to the Home Minister will be unfair to him. He was using honorifics like ‘Sri’ and ‘Ji’ for Kejriwal even though he (chief minister) and other leaders of AAP were using completely objectionable language against Shinde who is 25 years elder to Kejriwal,” Surjewala said.
Noting that Shinde is a “very very seasoned” politician, Surjewala said that he knows his language and the need for maintaining decency and decorum in politics.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
On Wednesday, Surjewala had feigned ignorance of the matter and had declined to comment on Shinde’s remarks that Arvind Kejriwal was a “Veda Mukhyamantri” (mad chief minister), but had praised the Union Home Minister for being a “very mature” leader.
Shinde had stoked a controversy when he called Kejriwal a “Veda Mukhyamantri” (mad chief minister in Marathi), while recalling his own days in the police force.
Shinde has been at the receiving end of Kejriwal’s repeated diatribes.