Congress will announce a new candidate from Vadodara against Narendra Modi after Narendra Rawat, who was elected in the primaries on Tuesday, withdrew his name to enable party to put up a strong contender against BJP’s PM nominee.
“Narendra Rawat has retired from the contest following BJP’s announcement to field Modi from Vadodara. He has requested me to convey to the party command regarding the decision,” AICC general secretary in-charge for Gujarat Gurudas Kamat said.
The announcement came ahead of the party’s press briefing to release the sixth list of candidates.
Rawat, a local leader from Gujarat was named the candidate from the seat after he had won majority of votes of office bearers under the primaries experiment initiated by Rahul Gandhi as part of plans to bring fresh blood and grassroot workers to the fore.
Ever since Modi’s candidature was announced from Vadodara, there was specualtion that Congress will change its candidate from the seat as the party declared that the electoral battle against the BJP’s PM candidate will be fought strongly especially in constituencies which he is contesting.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The name of senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh is doing rounds for Varanasi seat against Modi and the party has made it clear that it will not vacate the political space by not contesting in favour of any candidate including Arvind Kejriwal.