Congress will announce a new candidate from Vadodara against Narendra Modi after Narendra Rawat, who was elected in the primaries on Tuesday, withdrew his name to enable party to put up a strong contender against BJP’s PM nominee.
“Narendra Rawat has retired from the contest following BJP’s announcement to field Modi from Vadodara. He has requested me to convey to the party command regarding the decision,” AICC general secretary in-charge for Gujarat Gurudas Kamat said.
The announcement came ahead of the party’s press briefing to release the sixth list of candidates.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Rawat, a local leader from Gujarat was named the candidate from the seat after he had won majority of votes of office bearers under the primaries experiment initiated by Rahul Gandhi as part of plans to bring fresh blood and grassroot workers to the fore.
Ever since Modi’s candidature was announced from Vadodara, there was specualtion that Congress will change its candidate from the seat as the party declared that the electoral battle against the BJP’s PM candidate will be fought strongly especially in constituencies which he is contesting.
The name of senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh is doing rounds for Varanasi seat against Modi and the party has made it clear that it will not vacate the political space by not contesting in favour of any candidate including Arvind Kejriwal.