“Comments by such a senior leader is not only objectionable, but also it is sad and shameful. Mulayam Singh’s remarks show that how much respect he has for women in his heart, and how irresponsible he is towards women’s security,” Congress leader Meem Afzal said.
Afzal said that the government in Uttar Pradesh is running under the guidance of Mulayam Singh and such comments could send a wrong message among young boys across the state.
“Mulayam Singh should immediately take back his works and apologise,” the Congress leader said. Questioning the death sentence to three men who were convicted for two gangrapes in Mumbai last week, Mulayam Singh had yesterday asked, “Should rape cases be punished with hanging?
“Ladke, ladke hain. Galti ho jati hai (Boys are boys. Mistakes happen sometimes),” he told an election rally in Moradabad.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Reacting to his comments, BJP came down heavily on the former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister with party leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi saying that the remarks were “very shameful” and that he should apologise.
The SP leader “has done politics on a sensitive issue. The country will never accept such an attitude of leaders,” Naqvi said. On the SP supremo’s comments that there was a need to change the new anti-rape law so that those misusing it are punished, another BJP leader Smriti Irani, “Mulayam Singh is not going to form the government at the Centre at any cost.
“If he wants to help any of the persons (rapists), he cannot now do such a thing as Congress has started preparation to sit in the opposition.
“I want to say to Mulayam Singh that women like me would strongly oppose (any amendment in the anti-rape law) and we would never let this happen,” Irani, the BJP candidate for Lok Sabha polls in Amethi, said.