Claiming the allegations against its Saharanpur candidate Imran Masood were “unverified and distorted”, the Congress has urged the Election Commission to direct the BJP to apologise for publicly reacting to the allegations and “maligning” the party’s image.
Masood was arrested Saturday on the charge of making a hate speech against BJP’s PM candidate Narendra Modi.
“The commission may direct BJP to tender apology publicly for criticism of INC and its candidate(s) on unverified and distorted allegations or take any other action as may deemed appropriate by the commission,” AICC secretary K C Mittal said in a letter to EC. This comes a day after Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi had publicly disapproved of Masood’s comments saying they were against the party’s ideology. Mittal said BJP had violated the model code of conduct by making “distorted and unverified” statements.
“It is only to malign Congress by making distorted and unverified statement even though clause 1(2) of the general conduct of Model Code of Conduct (MCC) categorically lays down that such criticism of other parties and their workers shall be avoided,” Mittal said in his letter.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016