The Congress on Thursday called Narendra Modi a “fake OBC”. It said the Modi government had included the Modh Ghanchis, the caste to which he belongs, in the OBC list three months after he became chief minister and argued that he was born into a prosperous upper caste.
The Congress released a circular issued by the Gujarat government dated January 1, 2002, regarding inclusion of several castes including the Modh Ghanchis in the OBC list. “He was born and raised in a rich and prosperous upper caste. Modh Ghanchis are a sub-caste of Vaishyas.
In fact, according to the the Gujarati lexicon Bhagvadgomandal, Modh is an adjective showing prosperity status of a particular caste or community. There are Modh Brahmins and Modh Banias. Gandhiji was a Modh Vanik,” Congress spokesperson Shaktisinh Gohil said. Modi became Gujarat CM in October 2001. Gohil said the Modi government included his caste in the OBC list for “selfish motives”.
Asked what is wrong in a government including a particular caste in the OBC list since the UPA government too recently included the Jat community, Gohil said Jats had been demanding that for long but there had been no such demand from the Modh Ghanchis.
“By including Modh Ghanchis, he has encroached upon the rights of other OBCs. Modi has been asking whether it is a sin to be born into a lower caste. It is not a crime or sin to be born into any caste or community, but it definitely is a crime to put an upper caste in the OBC category for selfish reasons and then cry discrimination. He has committed a sin and he should apolgise to the country. Like the fake encounters that has happened in Gujarat, he is a fake OBC,” he said.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Accusing Modi of “subtle manipulation”, Gohil said Ghanchis who were Muslims were OBCs but not prosperous, while Modh Ghanchis were neither given any reservation nor included as an OBC by any commission until Modi became CM.
The BJP rejected the charge and asked the Congress to debate issues of political importance. “It shows how bankrupt Congress has become that they have to stoop to this level,” former BJP president Venkaiah Naidu told reporters.
Gohil also alleged that Modi had never been a tea vendor but had only whiled away time at a canteen run by one of his relatives on contract.