A chief minister has to take responsibility if riots take place in a state under his watch, NCP chief Sharad Pawar said on Monday against the backdrop of the 2002 Gujarat communal violence.
“I am a chief minister and something happens in my state, I have to take the responsibility. I cannot say no. I may not be directly involved, but as a chief minister, as a home minister, as an administrator, I think it is my responsibility to protect the interest of the citizens,” he told NDTV.
He was asked about his stand on whether Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was responsible or not for the 2002 riots.
On his earlier statement that Modi should no longer be held responsible for the communal violence as a court has exonerated the Gujarat Chief Minister, Pawar said that the decision of the court should be accepted.
“….When judiciary has said something one has to accept,” Pawar said, adding that he goes according to the decision of the court. Pawar also said the development in Gujarat is not the contribution of one chief minister alone.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Gujarat or Maharashtra, they are developed states and it is not the contribution of one chief minister. Many chief ministers, right from Chimanbhai Patel and others, they have done a good job,” the Union Agriculture Minister said.
Asked about his equation with Modi, the NCP leader said that his equation with most leaders including Modi was good.
“My personal equation with most of the leaders,irrespective of parties, including Modi, is good,” he said.