Around 60 lakh voters opted for the ‘None of The Above’ (NOTA) option, more than the votes secured by 21 parties, in this Lok Sabha polls where it was introduced for the first time in any parliamentary election.
While exercising their franchise, country’s 59,97,054 voters punched the NOTA button on the electronic voting machines, which equals to 1.1 per cent of the total votes polled during these elections across 543 seats. The percentage and number of votes under NOTA was more than as many as 21 parties contesting these elections including JD(U), CPI, JD(S), SAD and others.
The maximum percentage of the electorate going for this choice was in Puducherry, with 3 per cent of total votes polled, which comes to a total of 22,268 votes.
This was followed by Meghalaya with 2.8 per cent votes (30,145), Gujarat 1.8 per cent (4,54,880) Chhattisgarh 1.8 per cent (2,24,889), Dadra and Nagar Haveli 1.8 per cent (2,962). The other states with comparatively higher percentage of NOTA includes: , Bihar- 1.6 per cent (5,81,011), Odisha- 1.5 per cent (3,32,780) Mizoram- 1.5 per cent (6,495), Jharkhand- 1.5 per cent (1,90,927), Daman and Diu- 1.5 per cent (1,316).
Also , Sikkim 1.4- per cent (4,332), Tamil Nadu- 1.4 per cent (5,82,062) Madhya Pradesh- 1.3 per cent (3,91,837) Among others are Tripura- 1.2 per cent (23,783), Kerala- 1.2 per cent (2,10,561), Goa- 1.2 per cent (10,103), Rajasthan- 1.2 per cent (3,27,902), Uttarakhand- 1.1 per cent (48,043), West Bengal- 1.1 per cent (5,68,276), Arunachal Pradesh 1.1 per cent (6,321).
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The states and UTs with lower percentage of NOTA votes are: Lakshadweep 0.3 per cent (123), Haryana 0.3 per cent (34,225), Nagaland 0.3 per cent (2,696) and Punjab 0.4 per cent (58,754). Besides all these states, NOTA was also chosen by the electorate in variable numbers in other states. In Vadodara, the second seat where BJP’s Prime Minestrial candidate Narendra Modi won the elections, NOTA polled 18,053 votes, third after the runner-up Madhusudan Mistry of the Congress.