Union minister Chiranjeevi on Thursday opposed the manner in which the state was being bifurcated. The unprecedented act of a Union minister dissenting against his own government in the Rajya Sabha, in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, prompted the Opposition to raise questions.
Saying he was speaking on behalf of all the Telugu people, Chiranjeevi said he felt heartbroken and argued that the bifurcation was being carried out in an “unfair manner”. He said, “At every step of the way, we were rushing and acting in haste. A state and its people cannot be divided causing so much hurt, pain and anger.”
The minister also attacked the BJP, saying the NDA went back on its word on creation of Telangana when it was in power. The BJP members were quick to protest. Leader of Opposition Arun Jaitley asked whether a member of the council of ministers was allowed to speak against the Bill which his government had proposed.
Seeking amendments, Chiranjeevi demanded Union Territory status for Hyderabad, inclusion of Anantapur and Kurnool districts in Telangana, special financial package and special category status to Seemandhra, tax exemption and tax holiday for 10 years. “I strongly feel equal justice to Telugu people will not be done if the Bill is passed without these changes,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016