Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram has expressed his desire to step down from electoral politics, saying how long can he go on at the age of 68.
“I have contested in eight elections, and been a minister for 17 years. I was not given ordinary portfolio like Textile Ministry. Had such a ministry been given, I would have served peacefully. But I was given Home and Finance in which I had to work eighteen hours per day,” he said, addressing a Backward Class People’s conference at Tirumayyam near here late last night.
He said he would step down from electoral politics and choose to serve the people following the path of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Claiming that he was a man of integrity, Chidambaram said he had not taken to usury nor resorted to Kattapanchayat (Kangaroo’s court)(as a lawyer). I have not taken a single paise from anybody.”
“I am 68 now. How long can I travel at this age.Those who are born should return to the earth. I don’t believe in rebirth,” the Minister said, sounding philosophical.
Chidambaram has chosen not to contest the Lok Sabha polls and Congress has nominated his son Karti from his constituency of Sivaganga in Tamil Nadu.