Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday rejected a charge by an officer that he had insulted him during a meeting and said he had not hurt anyone’s feelings.
“I don’t know what the controversy is about. He (Urban Development Secretary Sudhir Krishna) was speaking in a mixture of Hindi and English, which I could not understand. I told him that he may speak in English or, if he was more comfortable, speak in Hindi and someone could help me understand,” he said in a statement.
Two newspapers reported the correct version of what happened during the meeting, he said, adding, “I have nothing more to add. There was no question of hurting anyone’s feelings.”
Krishna, who reportedly felt insulted, wrote to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh complaining about the alleged remarks of Chidambaram at the meeting, saying the “tone and tenor (of the minister) was expressly humiliating.”
The meeting had been called to discuss additional central assistance for Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission projects that were sanctioned and were awaiting release of funds by the Finance Ministry.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Besides Krishna, the meeting was attended by the Expenditure Secretary and officers of the Finance Ministry and the Urban Development Ministry.