Khap panchayats seem to be the new fodder for the political parties to counter each other. Days after Arvind Kejriwal spoke against any ban on khap panchayats, Union Finance P Chidambaram on Wednesday said that such bodies were not a part of Indian culture.
The statement of the Union Finance Minister is in sharp contrast with that of the Delhi Chief Minister, who in a recent interview had said that he did not see the need for banning khap panchayats or unelected all-male village councils that often endorse harsh treatment of women because they serve a “cultural purpose.”
Later, Kejriwal’s party had clarified that though it defended the existence of khap panchayats, they were opposed to any kind of decision given by them that violated the law of the land.
“All castes tend to have their social organisations, which do internal dispute resolution. We certainly acknowledge the right of all such organisations to exist. They have a right to exist and perform a legitimate role because we do not want every social dispute to go to the court of law,” senior AAP leader Yogendra Yadav had said.
Slamming other political parties for succumbing to the khap panchayats, Yadav had said that AAP would not fall before the feet of these community organisations for the sake of votes.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Other parties go and ask for vote, fall before their feet. They say even if there is a murder (order issued by the khap panchayat) we will keep quiet for a few days. AAP has not done this before or do not intend to do this in future,” he had said.