A moderate 35 per cent polling was recorded till 1 pm in seven parliamentary constituencies of Chhattisgarh during the third and final phase of Lok Sabha polls in the state on Thursday.
“Around 35 per cent of the electorate exercised their franchise in Raipur, Durg, Bilaspur, Janjgir-Champa (SC), Raigarh (ST), Surguja (ST) and Korba Lok Sabha seats till 1 pm,” Joint Chief Electoral Officer DD Singh told PTI.
So far no violence has been reported from these regions where polling will conclude at 6 PM this evening, he said. Large number of youth queued up since morning to exercise their franchise in Raipur, Durg, Bilaspur and Korba seats.
Among 153 candidates in the fray, fifteen are women, with 22 candidates belonging to recognised national political parties.
Mahant, the sitting MP of Congress from Korba seat and Union Minister of state for Agriculture and Food Processing, is facing BJP’s Banshilal Mahto in a tough contest.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Korba’s neighbouring Raigarh (ST) seat is also in the spotlight for a direct fight between BJP’s state unit chief and sitting MP Vishnu Deo Sai and Congress’ Aarti Singh.
In the high-profile Raipur seat, six-time MP and BJP nominee Ramesh Bais is pitted against Congress MLA Satyanarayan Sharma.
In Durg, national president of BJP Mahila Morcha and sitting MP Saroj Pandey is locking horns with former Congress MLA Tamradhwaj Sahu.
Another sitting MP and BJP leader Kamla Devi Patle is locked in a close contest against Premchand Jaisi of Congress in Janjgir-Champa seat.
In Bilaspur, Karuna Shukla, niece of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, is contesting on Congress ticket against Lakhan Lal Sahu of BJP, while Congress nominee Ramdev Ram is crossing swords with BJP’s Kamalbhan Singh in Surguja seat.