A moderate 35 per cent polling was recorded till 1 pm in seven parliamentary constituencies of Chhattisgarh during the third and final phase of Lok Sabha polls in the state on Thursday.
“Around 35 per cent of the electorate exercised their franchise in Raipur, Durg, Bilaspur, Janjgir-Champa (SC), Raigarh (ST), Surguja (ST) and Korba Lok Sabha seats till 1 pm,” Joint Chief Electoral Officer DD Singh told PTI.
So far no violence has been reported from these regions where polling will conclude at 6 PM this evening, he said. Large number of youth queued up since morning to exercise their franchise in Raipur, Durg, Bilaspur and Korba seats.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Among 153 candidates in the fray, fifteen are women, with 22 candidates belonging to recognised national political parties.
Mahant, the sitting MP of Congress from Korba seat and Union Minister of state for Agriculture and Food Processing, is facing BJP’s Banshilal Mahto in a tough contest.
Korba’s neighbouring Raigarh (ST) seat is also in the spotlight for a direct fight between BJP’s state unit chief and sitting MP Vishnu Deo Sai and Congress’ Aarti Singh.
In the high-profile Raipur seat, six-time MP and BJP nominee Ramesh Bais is pitted against Congress MLA Satyanarayan Sharma.
In Durg, national president of BJP Mahila Morcha and sitting MP Saroj Pandey is locking horns with former Congress MLA Tamradhwaj Sahu.
Another sitting MP and BJP leader Kamla Devi Patle is locked in a close contest against Premchand Jaisi of Congress in Janjgir-Champa seat.
In Bilaspur, Karuna Shukla, niece of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, is contesting on Congress ticket against Lakhan Lal Sahu of BJP, while Congress nominee Ramdev Ram is crossing swords with BJP’s Kamalbhan Singh in Surguja seat.