Popular Tamil novelist R N Joe D’Cruz finds himself “facing threats” and “hate mails” after he expressed his support for BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, hailing his Gujarat regime as “a visionary government”.
There had been a lot of opposition, threat and blackmail after he posted his pro-Modi views a few days ago on Facebook, Joe, a Sahitya Akademi award recipient and a champion of the cause of fishermen, told PTI.
On the reaction in literary circles, he alleged “certain people blackmail. Others threaten that my literary work that are currently getting translated will be in trouble. For instance, a translation of ‘Aazhi Soozh Ulagu,’ which is under the process of publication in English will be halted, they say. Some have sent hate mails that shower abuses.”
However, Joe is unfazed by such opposition. “My decision to support Modi is whole-hearted,” he said.
Asked if his support to Modi, accused of not doing much to contain Gujarat riots, would not be viewed as anti-minorities, he said, “I have travelled far and wide and understand socio-political and economic realities in our country. So far, all those who have been in power have only displayed a selfish attitude and lack of doable ideas to solve people’s problems.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The development in Gujarat was actually propelled by “pragmatism” and the practical approach became “easy” owing to a real understanding of issues and workable solutions, Joe, who hails from a community of traditional fishermen, said.
“All other regimes failed to do this. More particularly, there you have a visionary government that truly cares for the common man,” said Joe, whose novel “Korkai”, an account of a 100-year history of fishermen, won the Sahitya Akademi award for 2013.
His earlier novel novel “Aazhi Soozh Ulagu” received the state government’s best novel award in 2005.
He has also done documentary films and all his creative works deal mostly with the lives and sufferings of Tamil fishermen. He also penned dialogues for actor Dhanush starrer “Maryan,” a film directed by Bharat Bala.
To a question about basing his support for Modi on Gujarat’s growth alone, Joe said, “Not only that…I am one among millions of Indians who would love to see a strong and visionary leadership. I do not think there is any one else except Modi who fits the bill.”
On what he expected Modi to do for fishing communities, the writer recalled the Gujarat Chief Minister’s visit to Nagercoil in 2009 when he spoke on the importance of bringing systemic improvements like use of GPS to identify availability of fish.
“He understands coast, coastal life and sufferings of fishermen. I am confident, he will honour and improve the living conditions of fishermen who are unpaid guards of our lengthy coastline,”
“No past government has done anything meaningful for them. Modi understands their travails. He hails from a coastal State and has humble background. I am confident. He is committed to bring a change and will deliver tangible results.”
On what he wanted to tell those who opposed him for offering support to Modi, he said such people who claim to be progressive were actually masquerading.
“They are in fact conservative and reactionary in their outlook. It is my right to support anyone. My heart and soul is always for the coast and Modi will bring justice to coastal communities that have been wronged by the rulers.”