CBI has registered five cases related to alleged swindling of funds in the implementaion of centrally-sponsored Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA) in Uttar Pradesh during the rule of Mayawati-led BSP.
CBI sources said cases of criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery under Indian Penal Code and misuse of officials’ position under the Prevention of Corruption Act have been registered regarding alleged financial irregularities in Gonda, Balrampur, Sonbhadra, Mahoba and Kushinagar districts.
They said FIRs have been registered against officials who were directly linked with the implementation of the scheme in these districts during 2007-10 but no official has been named in these reports.
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
The agency is likely to registered two more cases soon.
CBI has asked the district administrations and state government to keep a safe custody of records related to MGNREGA in these districts.
The agency has taken over the cases on the orders of Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court which directed it to investigate the alleged abuse and misappropriation of funds as well as abuse of power under MNREGA scheme in seven districts of Uttar Pradesh.
The court had directed CBI to investigate the abuse and misappropriation of funds as well as the abuse of power under MNREGA scheme in seven districts–Balrampur, Gonda, Mahoba, Sonbhadra, Sant Kabir Nagar, Mirzapur and Kushinagar–between 2007 and 2010 and come up with appropriate action and prosecution in accordance with law.
The bench had said a further writ in the nature of mandamus was issued directing CBI to hold a preliminary inquiry with regard to other districts of the state for the three years relating to abuse, misuse or misappropriation of funds provided by the Centre under the scheme with follow-up of regular enquiry, if required.