CBI has registered five cases related to alleged swindling of funds in the implementaion of centrally-sponsored Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA) in Uttar Pradesh during the rule of Mayawati-led BSP.
CBI sources said cases of criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery under Indian Penal Code and misuse of officials’ position under the Prevention of Corruption Act have been registered regarding alleged financial irregularities in Gonda, Balrampur, Sonbhadra, Mahoba and Kushinagar districts.
They said FIRs have been registered against officials who were directly linked with the implementation of the scheme in these districts during 2007-10 but no official has been named in these reports.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The agency is likely to registered two more cases soon.
CBI has asked the district administrations and state government to keep a safe custody of records related to MGNREGA in these districts.
The agency has taken over the cases on the orders of Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court which directed it to investigate the alleged abuse and misappropriation of funds as well as abuse of power under MNREGA scheme in seven districts of Uttar Pradesh.
The court had directed CBI to investigate the abuse and misappropriation of funds as well as the abuse of power under MNREGA scheme in seven districts–Balrampur, Gonda, Mahoba, Sonbhadra, Sant Kabir Nagar, Mirzapur and Kushinagar–between 2007 and 2010 and come up with appropriate action and prosecution in accordance with law.
The bench had said a further writ in the nature of mandamus was issued directing CBI to hold a preliminary inquiry with regard to other districts of the state for the three years relating to abuse, misuse or misappropriation of funds provided by the Centre under the scheme with follow-up of regular enquiry, if required.