Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari on Friday declared his support to Congress saying it will “strengthen” secularism and termed communalism as “bigger threat” to the country than corruption.
Considered an influential religious leader, Bukhari appealed to Muslims to support Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided, days after his meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi sparked a row. He also announced supporting Trinamool Congress in West Bengal and Congress ally RJD in Bihar.
“For the coming Lok Sabha elections, I announce support for the Congress. We have to fight unitedly against communal forces,” he said at a press conference. Bukhari said though the Muslim community has grievances against Congress, still a decision to support the party was taken as the “country cannot be allowed to go to the communal forces”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“The nation faces danger from communal forces. We should ensure secular votes are not divided,” the Imam said.He said the country was facing a bigger problem of communalism and “communal forces are working day in and day out to break the country.” The announcement by Bukhari came three days after his meeting with Gandhi that raised hackles of BJP, which accused her of communalising politics and said it was case of violation of the model code of conduct.