Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari on Friday declared his support to Congress saying it will “strengthen” secularism and termed communalism as “bigger threat” to the country than corruption.
Considered an influential religious leader, Bukhari appealed to Muslims to support Congress and ensure that secular votes are not divided, days after his meeting with Congress president Sonia Gandhi sparked a row. He also announced supporting Trinamool Congress in West Bengal and Congress ally RJD in Bihar.
“For the coming Lok Sabha elections, I announce support for the Congress. We have to fight unitedly against communal forces,” he said at a press conference. Bukhari said though the Muslim community has grievances against Congress, still a decision to support the party was taken as the “country cannot be allowed to go to the communal forces”.
“The nation faces danger from communal forces. We should ensure secular votes are not divided,” the Imam said.He said the country was facing a bigger problem of communalism and “communal forces are working day in and day out to break the country.” The announcement by Bukhari came three days after his meeting with Gandhi that raised hackles of BJP, which accused her of communalising politics and said it was case of violation of the model code of conduct.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016