- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
Bukhari appeal: BJP asks EC to take cognisance
The BJP on Friday asked the Election Commission take cognisance of Syed Ahmed Bukhari’s appeal to Muslims to support Congress in the polls and accused Sonia and Rahul Gandhi of “communalising the whole election”.
Reacting sharply to the Delhi Jama Masjid Shahi Imam’s statement supporting Congress, BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said Congress leaders were seeking support of the people like Bukhari as they failed in all fronts.
“We condemn Imam Bukhari’s statement. This government is desperate. They know they are going to lose very very heavily. Therefore, Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi try to communalise the whole election. They have failed so Shahi Imam Bukhari has come to the front,” Prasad said.
“The EC must take note of this rant communal appeal,” he said but noted that Bukhari’s statement will fail to influence the people because they are more concerned about burning issues like price rise, unemployment and sense of insecurity. Former SP leader Shahid Siddiqui also slammed Bukhari’s stand.