The Budget Session got off to a stormy start on Monday as the Opposition disrupted Parliament proceedings over price rise.
Here are the highlights for the day:
3.55 pm: Congress, BSP, CPI-M stage walkout in Rajya Sabha expressing dissatisfaction with Finance Minister Arun Jaitley’s reply on price rise.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
3.53 pm: We have contained prices; Govt committed to keep them under check: Jaitley says in Rajya Sabha.
3. 50 pm: There is sufficient supply of onion and potato; there is no need for panic: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley.
3:48 pm: Previous government did not take tough decisions, says Arun Jaitley.
3:45 pm: If you want to use a service you need to pay for it, says Arun Jaitley.
3:42 pm: The railways was running a loss of Rs 30,000 crore on passenger fare.
3:35 pm: TMC also responsible for Railways condition, says Jaitley.
3:33 pm: TMC to Jaitley: Don’t want to know what Congress did, but what you are doing.
3:32 pm: Price rise is because of a lack of supply, says Jaitley.
3:29 pm: The Congress left the railways in poor condition, says Jaitley.
3:28 pm: Congress brought the economy to this state, says Jaitley.
3:25 pm: Arun Jaitley addresses the parliament on price rise.
2:45 pm: City firms like Indraprastha Gas Ltd to get top priority in gas allocation; new gas production to go to them.
2:30 pm: Govt to alter natural gas allocation policy; give city gas project top priority.
2:00 pm: Lok Sabha adjourned after ruckus over price rise.
1:00 pm: Two-and-a-half hours allotted to debate price rise today. However, the opposition has demanded that the voting should be followed by a voting.
12:25 pm: “We should get leader of Opposition,” says Sonia Gandhi.
12:10 pm: Price rise is a reality, said BJP’s Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
12:08 pm: Narendra Modi addresses the parliament.
12:05 pm: BJP made empty promises in curbing prices, says JD(U).
11:55 pm: JD(U) slams modi govt over price rise.
11:45 am: Uma Bharti calls poverty figures misleading.
11:30 am: Lok Sabha adjourned till noon after ruckus over price rise.
11:25 am: Government agrees to discuss issue of price rise in Rajya Sabha.
11:10 am: Opposition disrupts proceedings as soon as Budget Session begins.
The first Budget Session of the 16th Lok Sabha started today. The Narendra Modi government is bracing for a heated debate in parliament over the issues of price rise, rail price hike and fuel price hike.
The Congress leaders, who have been vehemently demanding the Leader of Opposition post, will hold a strategy meet before the session begins.
The Modi government, on its part, is likely to introduce the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Amendment Bill 2014 and also make a statement on the condition of Indians in Iraq.
Tackling inflation will be one of the top priorities of the government with emphasis on supply of onions, cereals, potatoes, tomatoes and pulses. To mitigate the ongoing crisis, the Centre has directed states to discourage hoarding, cartelisation and artificial storages.