The Budget session of Parliament, the first of the Narendra Modi government, ended on Thursday reflecting the changed political reality with fewer disruptions and adjournments, and more debates and discussions unlike in the recent past.
The stark contrast between the functioning of the new Lok Sabha and the earlier one could be gauged from the fact that
this time the House ran for 167 hours as against 19 hours and 36 minutes during the budget session of 2013.
Both, the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha were adjourned sine die marking completion of the budget session. Besides the maiden General Budget and the Railway Budget of the BJP-led NDA coalition, the highlights of the month-long session was the passage of the landmark National Judicial Appointments Commission Bill and the SEBI Bill.
Several other bills were passed in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha including the one seeking to clear legal hurdles in the appointment of former TRAI chief Nripendra Misra as Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister.
Parliament also cleared the budget for Delhi, which is currently under President’s rule. In the Lok Sabha, a total of 13 bills were passed.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Before the passage of the Finance Bill, the Lok Sabha scrutinised the demands for grants of four ministries unlike in the recent years where the sessions were marred by disruptions.
While Lok Sabha ran for 167 hours, the Rajya worked for 142 hours spread over 27 days. Although the Lok Sabha lost about 14 hours due to disruptions but it more than made up by sitting extra for 28 hours and 10 minutes.
In Rajya Sabha 34 hours were lost due to interruptions and adjournments, but it was made up by late sittings and skipping lunch recess accounting for 38 hours.