Candidates often choose to withhold “inconvenient information” while filing the mandatory affidavit along with their nomination papers for elections, but now it will not be viable.
The Election Commission of India has decided that a candidate will have to fill every column with relevant information while filing the affidavit. “A candidate who chooses to leave any column blank in the affidavit will be liable to be disqualified. We plan to enforce this in the coming Lok Sabha polls,” a top EC functionary told The Indian Express.
All Returning Officers (RO) have been asked to carefully scrutinise the affidavits when candidates file their nomination papers. “ROs will inform the candidate about it (incomplete affidavit) and provide him or her an opportunity to fill any column that may have been left blank. If a candidate fails to complete the affidavit, the nomination papers will be rejected,” a senior EC official explained.
Information relating to criminal background, assets, liabilities and educational qualifications are sought in the affidavit. “Past experience has shown that many candidates chose not to fill some of the columns they found inconvenient at times. The columns they chose to leave blank were often related to their educational qualifications, liabilities and the market value of their immovable properties. It was felt that by withholding such inputs, the candidates were denying the voters information that could be critical for them to make a right choice,” a senior EC official explained.
Most of the major political parties, including the Congress and the BJP, had expressed strong reservations against the move, but the EC rejected their arguments.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More