As many as 700 IRS officers would be deployed by the Election Commission as observers in ‘expenditure sensitive’ constituencies during the Lok Sabha polls.
The EC has asked the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) and the Central Board of Excise and Customs to finalise the names of suitable officials and send to it for final deployment. The final briefing of these officials will take place this week in Delhi where they will be told about their authority and role in the elections, both for countrywide Lok Sabha seats and for the state Legislative Assemblies of Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Odisha.
Sources said the officers will be posted as ‘Election Expenditure Observers’ in various constituencies and Assembly segments and they will supervise anti-blackmoney procedures being conducted by the EC appointed flying squads and monitoring teams.
The EC has formulated a number of measures for curbing the use of illegal money power and luring of voters in the run up to the polls, the first voting day of the polls being April 7.
The EC, sources said, will formally allot the Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officers their respective constituencies in the next few days and observers for all these seats will start touring their respective areas soon.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The I-T department has pooled in and compiled a list of its officers from its various wings of tax collection, TDS, investigations and others to be sent on deputation to the EC for this task while the Customs will also depute a team of senior officials from its various formations.
“The officials will remain with the EC for some more time after the results are announced on May 16 after the final
expenditure reports would be finalised,” a senior official said.