Celebrations broke out among BJP workers here on Sunday after the party announced the candidature of Murli Manohar Joshi for the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Amid bursting of crackers and distribution of sweets, local party leaders exuded confidence that Joshi would win the election by a large margin.
BJP on Saturday announced Joshi’s name from Kanpur Lok Sabha constituency, pitting him against three-time MP and Union Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Surendra Mohan Agarwal of SP, Dr Mahmood Rehmani of AAP and Mohammed Saleem of BSP are the other major contenders in fray from the city. However, Saleem’s name is yet to be officially declared by BSP.
Joshi is expected visit Kanpur on March 21 and party workers are busy making arrangements to accord him a grand welcome, party leaders said.
Former BJP MP Shyam Bihari Misra said there was a Narendra Modi wave in the country and “there is nothing left for Congress in this election”.
BJP MLA from Kanpur’s Aaryanagar constituency Salil Vishnoi said Joshi will infuse a sense of unity among party workers and ensure better coordination. “We will make every effort to ensure that he (Joshi) wins by a large margin,” he said.
BJP Kanpur president Surendra Maithani said Jaiswal will not stand a chance against Joshi. “Kanpur will become developed and people will have no problems once Joshi is elected from here,” he said, exuding confidence that the veteran leader would win by a margin of more than one lakh votes.
Maithani also said that Joshi’s campaign plan would be chalked out after Holi.