Creating history, the Bharatiya Janata Party on Friday swept all four Parliament constituencies in Himachal Pradesh including Mandi, defeating sitting MP and Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh’s wife Pratibha Singh. This is the first time Himachal voters have broken the myth of voting for an incumbent government.
The results came as a big blow for Virbhadra Singh and as a big victory for former CM Prem Kumar Dhumal — who had lost power to Virbhadra in 2012 Assembly polls. To add another blow to the Congress, the BJP wrested Sujanpur Assembly seat where Anita Rana, wife of Rajinder Rana who had vacated the seat ahead of the Lok Sabha elections, lost the bypoll by 538 votes.
Veteran BJP leader Shanta Kumar created history of sorts in Himachal by winning the Kangra seat by 1.70 lakh votes. He defeated former MP Chander Kumar, an OBC leader. Shanta Kumar got 5,56,213 votes.
BJP MP and Dhumal’s son Anurag Thakur defeated Congress’s Rajinder Rana by an impressive margin of 98,330 votes. The CM’s wife and two-time MP Pratibha Singh lost by 39,856 votes to Ram Swaroop Sharma of the BJP.
Shimla, considered a Congress bastion for decades, was demolished with sitting MP Virender Kashyap defeating first time MLA from Rohru, Mohan Lal Brakta, by 84,195 votes. The BJP won for the second consecutive time from the Congress bastion.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
In the worst jolt to the Congress, Narinder Thakur, son of veteran BJP leader (late) Jagdev Chand, won the Sujanpur Assembly constituency with 22,993 votes. Thakur, earlier with the Congress, joined the BJP before the Lok Sabha elections.