A day after counting threw up a hung assembly in Delhi,the BJP said it was waiting to hear from the Lieutenant Governor to try and form a government since natural course of justice should follow. But that prospect,which seemed a distinct possibility early Monday when the AAP indicated it was open to a BJP minority government,started looking bleak later after Arvind Kejriwal and his team asked the party to prepare for re-election.
Both parties held meetings with their legislators in an attempt to chart a way forward but neither wanted to take the first step. In fact,the BJP and AAP have said they were willing to sit in the opposition.
AAP MLA from Patparganj and senior leader Manish Sisodia said,The AAP is willing to sit in the opposition of the Delhi Assembly if the BJP wants to form a minority government. The AAP is firm about not giving or taking any support.
But later in the evening,the AAP called a meeting which also included candidates and campaign managers who had lost. A party source indicated that the AAP was readying itself for another election.
All elected legislators have been asked to stop celebrating and re-start their door-to-door campaigns so that they dont lose focus, senior AAP leader Sanjay Singh said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
AAP sources also said that the winners have been asked to speak to the 20 candidates who came second in their constituencies to improve their chances.
Meanwhile,BJP Delhi in-charge Nitin Gadkari said the party would try and form the government if called upon by the Lt Governor.
It is a billion-dollar question. Everything will depend on Lt Governor Najeeb Jung, Gadkari said. We have not been intimated by the LG so far and we also feel that another election will burden the people. If the AAP wants to extend support,we will be happy to form the government but we will not approach AAP, he said.
Even BJP MLAs,particularly those whose victory margin was less than 1,000 votes,concurred. We would want any party to form the government because that will ensure we remain MLAs. We know how tough the fight was and the effort we put in to win these seats. A second contest would be difficult for most of us, said one of the newly elected MLAs.
Another MLA said it would be unfair if there was to be a re-election.Someone should ask the top brass of the AAP and BJP to form the government since we cant afford another election. It will be a disservice to those who have voted, he said.