UP Governor B L Joshi’s resignation — signalling that there could be similar vacancies in a few Raj Bhavans across the country — has given hope to several senior BJP leaders to end their political careers with gubernatorial assignment.
Apart from senior leaders Murli Manohar Joshi and Yashwant Sinha, BJP sources confide that leaders like Kailash Joshi, Kalyan Singh, Kesarinath Tripathi, Lalji Tandon, Balram Das Tandon, Vijay Malhotra and O Rajagopal are some other names doing the rounds for being appointed governors.
Apart from Joshi, who is the only sitting member of Lok Sabha among the names mentioned, party leaders did not rule out the possibility of some other sitting MPs like Shanta Kumar, B C Khanduri, C P Thakur and Bhagat Singh Koshyari as probables for governorship sometime over the course of the BJP-led government at the Centre.
While the names of Joshi and Sinha were also doing the rounds for other assignments, like ambassadorship or deputy chairmanship of the Planning Commission, party patriarch L K Advani Tuesday suggested that Sinha holds the potential to be the chief minister of Jharkhand.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The leaders, however, refused to confirm whether they have been sounded out by the government for their impending assignments. Sources also avoided a guessing game as to the states or UTs which may see new governors or Lt Governors appointed.
Party leaders said while such top level political appointments will be the prerogative of the Narendra Modi-led dispensation at the Centre, they underlined that BJP organisation and even RSS leaders will be consulted while rewarding these leaders with the assignments.
During the previous BJP-led NDA government, leaders like Sunder Singh Bhandari, Sikander Bakht, Kedar Nath Sahni, Madan Lal Khurana, Suraj Bhan, Bhai Mahavir, Bhai Parmanand, Kailashpati Mishra and K R Malkani among others were prominent among the BJP old guard who were made governors by Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Apart from several ex-bureaucrats who have been appointed governors by the UPA regime, there are a total of 19 governors who have been active Congress leaders.