In a frontal attack on BJP, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Monday alleged that the saffron party, which is leading the NDA, is trying to make “Hindus fight against Muslims” and also seeking to create two Indias with one for chosen business class and another for the poor.
“BJP people are trying (to) make Hindus fight Muslims,” Rahul said while addressing his maiden rally in this district headquarters town in Telangana, after the bill carving out a new state was passed by Parliament.
In an apparent dig at BJP’s Prime Ministerial nominee Narendra Modi, Rahul said, “Opposition parties want only chosen businessmen and chosen industrialists to become rich, with no benefits to the rest of the nation.
“They want to create two Indias – one for the rich and another for the poor. One India for chosen businessmen and another India for farmers, workers, dalits, adivasis and minorities,” he said, adding that on contrary the Congress wants an India where everybody including the poor, farmers, workers, Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs and Christians benefit.
He said the country has witnessed maximum economic growth during the ten-year rule of the UPA and a total of 15 crore people were lifted from the BPL level.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We have achieved not just economic progress but have lifted 15 crore people out of poverty. How did they come out of poverty? We gave guarantee cards (job cards of MGNREGA),” he said.
Recalling that the UPA government had enunciated landmark poverty alleviation and development programmes like Right to Education and Food Security, Rahul said, “If voted to power, the UPA would ensure housing for all and provide free medicines and operations at free-of-cost for the poor”.
Appreciating the women self help groups (SHGs) in Andhra Pradesh, Rahul said the Congress would like to implement the programme all over the country so that crores of women can benefit and achieve economic prosperity.
Accusing opposition parties of stalling the Women’s Reservation Bill when introduced by Congress in Lok Sabha, Rahul said, “The first task of the UPA government when it regains power this year is to pass this legislation.”
UPA government would also take steps to set up 2,000 police stations exclusively for women, he added.