The BJP Saturday continued its combative stand against the Election Commission in the wake of the stand-off between the party and the poll panel over denial of permission for Narendra Modi’s rally in Varanasi city, citing the roadshows held by Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
“The (Rahul Gandhi) roadshow is happening at a place where we were denied permission for holding a rally. This proves that there was no security reason and it was because of political reasons we were now allowed to hold the rally,” senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley said, criticising denial of permission to Modi in the constituency from where he is contesting elections. “The EC has to live with the fact that whatever security reasons are there
in Beniabagh, only apply to the BJP and not to the other parties.”
“Rahul’s farewell roadshow is happening in the area where Modiji was not allowed to hold a rally. One more biased conduct of Varanasi RO,” tweeted BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
In an apparent attempt to pacify BJP over its charges of alleged partisan behaviour of Varanasi returning officer (RO), the Commission has deployed a special observer for Varanasi.
Meanwhile, in the backdrop of the EC deploying special election observers, BJP candidates have requested it to deploy special observers for counting in Lok Sabha constituencies of Rahul Gandhi (Amethi) and Mulayam Singh Yadav (Mainpuri).
In separate letters, BJP candidate from Amethi Smriti Irani and party candidate from Mainpuri S S Chauhan have requested Chief Election Commissioner to depute special observers for the counting day, voicing apprehensions against local administration.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen