Training her guns on BJP and its Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Sunday warned the people against the “politics of hatred” propagated by the opposition party and asked them not to be swayed by “false promises” and big talk.
“The opposition, particularly the BJP, are going round the country indulging in big talk but what did their government do when they were in power at the Centre? There is a big difference between talking and working”, Gandhi told an election rally in Lakhimpur town.
The BJP and its leadership is “propagating the politics of hatred,” she said.
She asked the people not to be swayed by the “false promises of the opposition but be guided by their own good sense and take a decision to support the Congress and vote for their candidates.”
On the other hand, Congress has strengthened the country’s ‘Ganga-Jamuna’ culture, she said. “We do not make false promises. What we promise, we deliver. The Congress believes in ‘Har Haath Shakti, Har Haath Tarakki (Each hand is power, each hand is progress”, Gandhi said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“We have fulfilled almost all promises made in the 2009 manifesto. We will do the same with the 2014 manifesto and we need your support for this,” she said.
“There is a lot of difference between working and talking. North-east people know real nationalism, hope you will not be misled by those who are simply beating the drums of nationalism,” Gandhi said.
Targeting the BJP, she said, “Congress has always shed blood and sacrificed for the country. On the other hand is a party that has only divided the society.”
Congress workers in Assam and other places have been sacrificing their lives for the country before independence and even after the country became free, it is they who are engaged in nation-building.
“Where was the BJP and others then? There was no sign of the opposition either before or after independence. They are just engaged in division of the country, she charged.