The BJP Tuesday named former Army chief V K Singh as its candidate for Ghaziabad, the constituency vacated by Rajnath Singh who is contesting Lucknow. The announcement was made by Rajnath Singh through a press statement on the eve of the BJP central election committee meeting in New Delhi Wednesday. He also declared Shibun Lyngdoh as the Shillong candidate.
V K Singh’s candidacy is believed to have figured in talks Rajnath had with L K Advani to discuss selection. V K Singh will be pitted against Raj Babbar of the Congress and Shazia Ilmi of the Aam Aadmi Party.
Rajnath inducted the former Army chief into the BJP on March 1, months after he had shared the dais with Narendra Modi last September. He had addressed an ex-servicemen’s rally in Rewari, which was also Modi’s first public rally after being formally declared the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate. V K Singh, however, had then remained ambivalent on his political affiliations by closing ranks with Anna Hazare.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
After he joined the BJP, there was speculation he might contest from his home state, Haryana, but that was put to rest last Saturday when candidates from that state were announced.
During the CEC meeting that day, leaders of the party’s UP unit were assured of a high-profile candidate from Ghaziabad following Rajnath Singh’s shift to Lucknow.
A group of protesters from western Uttar Pradesh descended on the party headquarters in Delhi Tuesday demanding a candidate from the Tyagi community as none had been fielded in the entire region.
Bhopal an option for Gandhinagar’s Advani
NEW DELHI: Amid demands from both the Gujarat and the Madhya Pradesh units to field L K Advani from their states, the BJP’s central election committee is set to decide Wednesday. Party leaders are not ruling out the possibility of fielding him from Bhopal.
The Gujarat poll committee revealed it has proposed Advani for his current seat, Gandhinagar. But former Madhya Pradesh CM Kailash Joshi said he has requested Advani to contest from Bhopal, which he has offered to vacate. Joshi told The Indian Express last week Advani has not rejected his request.
The Gujarat unit has reiterated its demand that Modi contest from his home state as well as from Varanasi. The CEC will Wednesday decide candidates for Gujarat, Rajasthan and the remaining seats in UP and MP. ENS