The Bharatiya Janata Party is all set to field former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Uma Bharti against Congress president Sonia Gandhi in Rae Bareli, and is considering fielding its Rajya Sabha MP and popular TV actor Smriti Irani against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi.
The announcement could be made on Friday after party president Rajnath Singh returns to the capital from Lucknow, party sources said.
Since Bharti has already been announced as the candidate from Jhansi, the sources indicated that a local backward class leader would replace her if she moved to Rae Bareli for the high-profile contest.
Bharti’s aides, however, said they had no information about such a move, and stressed that they were working for her in Jhansi.
If Bharti moves to Rae Bareli, it would be the second time Sonia will face a high-profile BJP candidate. The BJP had fielded senior leader Sushma Swaraj against Sonia when she made her electoral debut from Bellary in Karnataka in 1999. Although Sonia won, Swaraj ensured it was a tough contest from a seat which was considered a Congress bastion.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The BJP won Rae Bareli in 1996 and 1998 but the seat was won by congress’s Satish Sharma in 1999 and by Sonia in 2004 and 2009.
The possible high-profile contest will also be Rae Bareli’s first after 1980 when Rajmata Vijayaraje Scindia took on Indira Gandhi. Indira had lost the seat to Raj Narain in 1977 but defeated Scindia in 1980.