The Bharatiya Janata Party is all set to field former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Uma Bharti against Congress president Sonia Gandhi in Rae Bareli, and is considering fielding its Rajya Sabha MP and popular TV actor Smriti Irani against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi.
The announcement could be made on Friday after party president Rajnath Singh returns to the capital from Lucknow, party sources said.
Since Bharti has already been announced as the candidate from Jhansi, the sources indicated that a local backward class leader would replace her if she moved to Rae Bareli for the high-profile contest.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Bharti’s aides, however, said they had no information about such a move, and stressed that they were working for her in Jhansi.
If Bharti moves to Rae Bareli, it would be the second time Sonia will face a high-profile BJP candidate. The BJP had fielded senior leader Sushma Swaraj against Sonia when she made her electoral debut from Bellary in Karnataka in 1999. Although Sonia won, Swaraj ensured it was a tough contest from a seat which was considered a Congress bastion.
The BJP won Rae Bareli in 1996 and 1998 but the seat was won by congress’s Satish Sharma in 1999 and by Sonia in 2004 and 2009.
The possible high-profile contest will also be Rae Bareli’s first after 1980 when Rajmata Vijayaraje Scindia took on Indira Gandhi. Indira had lost the seat to Raj Narain in 1977 but defeated Scindia in 1980.