While the BJP resents the idea of a ‘third front’ at the national level, the party is set to create one in Tamil Nadu by forging a pre-poll alliance with smaller parties to strengthen its electoral prospects in the state.
The BJP has already sealed the deal with MDMK, led by Vaiko, and party president Rajnath Singh has engaged both the PMK and DMDK in alliance talks.
While PMK leader and former Union minister Anbumany Ramadoss met Rajnath a while back on the issue of a pre-poll alliance, party sources said the BJP chief recently spoke to a point person of DMDK leader Vijaykanth over phone.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
While the BJP has been on the fringe of Tamil Nadu politics, which is dominated by two Dravidian parties, the saffron party had won three Lok Sabha seats in the state when it contested the elections in alliance with the AIADMK in 1998. It bagged four seats when it contested in an alliance with the DMK, MDMK and PMK in 1999.
Though DMK supremo M Karunanidhi praised Narendra Modi recently, the BJP is wary of engaging with the party, given its alleged links with the 2G spectrum allocation scam. Consequently, the BJP is relying on the MDMK, PMK and the DMDK.