BJP on Sunday welcomed the public admission by senior Congress leader AK Antony that his party’s secularism was slanted in favour of minorities and said that it now stands vindicated regarding its position on the issue.
Addressing first-time BJP MPs on the concluding day of an orientation workshop here, party veteran LK Advani lauded the “honest soul-searching” by Antony and hoped that more Congress leaders would back his stand.
“We should welcome this honest soul-searching by AK Antony for he is now saying what we in BJP have been saying all along.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“We have always said that secularism should mean justice for all, appeasement of none and discrimination against none,” Advani said.
At a recent conference in Kerala, Antony had said that Congress’s secularism was slanted in favour of the minority community and that had led to the majority section being alienated from the party.
Antony, the former Defence Minister, had also called for introspection on Congress’s policy regarding secularism. Taking a dig at Congress, Advani said, “I hope more and
more Congress leaders endorse what Antony has said, leading to a change in Congress’s approach to secularism. “As far as our party is concerned, there is already a perceptible change in the way minority communities have been looking at the Narendra Modi government.”
Advising the new MPs to consolidate the trend of minorities voting for BJP, Advani asked them to make the categories of majority and minority completely irrelevant. “We should make the categories of majority and minority completely irrelevant while fully safeguarding people’s rights and freedoms to follow their respective religions,” he said.
Advani said BJP’s decisive victory in the just-concluded Lok Sabha elections had not only changed the political landscape of the country but also influenced the political debate in the opposition camp.