Charging the former Congress-led UPA government of “betraying women by not giving reservation to them in decision-making bodies”, BJP on Saturday said it was committed to political empowerment of the fairer sex by granting 33 percent reservation to them.
“Congress-led UPA government has betrayed the women by not granting reservation to them in decision-making bodies. BJP is committed to political empowerment of the women by granting them 33 percent reservation,” BJP Mahila Morcha National President Saroj Pandey told reporters in Jammu.
Pandey said BJP has all along stood for providing reservation to women in Parliament, State Assemblies and other similar bodies.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“BJP has already granted reservation to women in its organisational set-up and shall in the near future, work towards reservation for them in elected bodies,” she said.
“It is unfortunate that Congress was never in favour of such provisions for women and its assertions of standing for gender equality were only election gimmicks,” she added.
Replying to a question on BJP’s poll slogan “achche din aayenge” (good days will come), Pandey said people should not get mislead by propaganda of Congress and its allies against the party and instead give some reasonable time to Prime Minister Narendra Modi to achieve the goal of good days.
“The ill effects of accumulated wrongs, misgovernance, corruption and scams of astronomical proportions committed during the past 60 years cannot be undone in just 6 or 60 days,” she said.
Talking about sexual offences, Pandey advocated severe punishment for such crimes and said people’s faith in the law of the land need to be strengthened.
“It is essential that the faith of the society and especially of the women folk must be restored in the rule of law and all the cases of sexual offences must be tried through fast-track courts for early punishment to the culprits,” she said.