BJP on Saturday came out in defence of yoga guru Ramdev over his remarks that Rahul Gandhi goes to Dalit houses for “honeymoon”, and said he is a “saint” whose words should be viewed in the context in which they were made and not as per the perception of Congress leaders.
“Ramdev is a saint. When he selects words like honeymoon, which is an English word, the context should be understood and its usage seen and not be misconstrued…
“It did not have the kind of meaning as Congress leaders were viewing it as per their own perception,” BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain said.
A Dalit BJP leader Udit Raj, said Ramdev has not said anything “wrong” against Dalits and his intention against them was also not “wrong”.
“The word honeymoon is viewed in different contexts. There is honeymoon between parties, people and used for the business community. It is also used to say that (Arvind) Kejriwal’s honeymoon has ended. It should be seen in this context and no wrong meaning should be construed to Ramdev’s words,” he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Udit said the word honeymoon has a wider meaning and does not have just one meaning but many, and he being a Dalit leader would have himself opposed him if Ramdev would have said something wrong.
“The meaning of the word and the intention behind its usage should be viewed in the right context. Ramdev is not of those kind that he would use such words in a bad context. His intention towards Dalits is not wrong,” he said.
He said by merely eating or sleeping in the houses of Dalits does not change their lives as projected by Gandhi.
“Why does Rahul Gandhi not invite Dalits to his own house,” he said, questioning why Congress has not been able to uplift Dalits despite being in power for so long in India.
On the FIR against Ramdev, Udit Raj, who is BJP candidate from North West Delhi, claimed Congress is unnerved at the fact that Dalits were supporting BJP.
Asked why BJP was clarifying on Ramdev who was not even a member of the party, he said, “even though this matter is personal, we need to give a clarification as Ramdev has been supporting BJP. That is why it is our duty to support him. So there was a need to clarify from BJP side.”