Opposing invitation to Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa for Narendra Modi’s swearing-in as Prime Minister, BJP ally MDMK on Saturday announced a black flag demonstration against the head of the island republic in Delhi on May 26.
MDMK chief Vaiko compared his situation to that of the anti-Hindi agitation launched by DMK under its founder, late C N Annadurai, in 1965, saying the Dravidian veteran had only opposed imposing of Hindi and not the Indian republic. “Similarly, while extending greetings to Narendra Modi for his thumping win and expressing my happiness over the same, I oppose the participation of Rajapaksa who is involved in Tamil genocide. Since its our duty to register our opposition, MDMK under my leadership will hold a black flag demonstration,” against Rajapaksa in Delhi, he said in a statement.
The protest, which was in line with Vaiko’s earlier announcement of opposing any India visit of the Lankan President following his last year’s travel to Sanchi, will be held at Jantar Mantar at 11 AM, he said. A similar protest will be also held in Chennai on the same day, he said.
A staunch supporter of Tamil Eeelam (separate home land for Lankan Tamils), Vaiko had earlier led protestors to oppose Rajapaksa’s visit to Sanchi in Madhya Pradesh last year. Vaiko, who lost in the recent Lok Sabha elections along with six other party nominees contesting as part of the alliance formed by BJP, said it was not proper for Rajapaksa to attend the swearing-in of Modi as “it will spoil the sanctity” of the ceremony.
The MDMK leader, who had personally met Modi and BJP President Rajnath Singh in Delhi on Friday arguing against the Lankan leader’s participation in the May 26 swearing-in, alleged that minority Tamils in Sri Lanka were still facing many difficulties. Terming as a “betrayal” India abstaining from voting in a US-sponsored resolution on human rights violations in a UN body in March this year, Vaiko charged that officials behind such a move were ‘misleading’ Modi in this matter.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More