BJP alleges Sonia, Rahul Gandhi used ‘Young India’ to launder money

The Congress, however, dismissed it saying that BJP was levelling baseless charges as it sensed imminent defeat in the Bihar assembly elections.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: October 23, 2015 12:25 am
Congress, Sonia, rahul The Congress, however, dismissed it saying that BJP was levelling baseless charges as it sensed imminent defeat in the Bihar assembly elections.

The BJP Thursday alleged that Young India, a company in which Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi are said to have majority stake, had borrowed Rs 1 crore from a firm allegedly involved in converting black money into white. BJP spokesperson Sambit Patra said the Gandhis should provide answers to the questions raised by the ruling party.

Dismissing the charges as baseless, the Congress reacted by saying the BJP was levelling such charges because it was sensing imminent defeat in the Bihar elections.

Patra said Young India, in which Sonia and Rahul Gandhi have 38 per cent shares each, was formed in December 2010. “If somebody has 76 per cent shares of a company then naturally they have the ownership rights,” Patra said, adding that the remaining 24 per cent shares were held by Congress leaders Oscar Fernandes and Motilal Vora.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article
. If you are embedding pictures, then adjust the code placement accordingly.

He said that on September 23, 2014, in a meeting held at 10 Janpath, a proposal was placed before the firm’s board for a one-year extension in repaying the loan borrowed from a private company. Patra said when activities of Dotex Merchandise, which had allegedly issued the Rs 1 crore loan to Young India company, were looked into by authorities, “murky” details had emerged.

“This one crore is just the tip of the iceberg. We ask the Congress, whose black money is this?… The Congress should explain,” Patra said.

The Congress reacted by saying the BJP government was “planting stories” in the media by leaking documents of the Enforcement Directorate, Income Tax department and Registrar of Companies. Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said, “Staring at defeat in Bihar due to that the strategies of Narendra Modi and Amit Shah, a frustrated BJP is indulging in issuing useless statements.”

Video of the day

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results