ASSAM CHIEF minister Tarun Gogoi on Sunday reiterated that the BJP and AIUDF had not only joined hands to polarise voters on religious lines but had also agreed that the AIUDF field candidates even in those constituencies where it has no chance of winning at all.
“The AIUDF has entered into a tacit understanding with the BJP to field candidates in as many as 60 assembly seats with the sole aim of defeating the Congress by engineering a split in votes and ensuring the victory of the saffron party,” Gogoi said in a statement.
“By deciding to field candidates in at least 60 constituencies where they have no chances of winning, AIUDF chief Badruddin Ajmal has entered into a political game plan with the BJP, like it did in the 2014 Parliamentary elections, to defeat the Congress candidates,” he added.
“If the AIUDF is for uniting the Muslims to consolidate minority votes, the BJP is also propagating the Hindutva agenda of RSS and uniting the Hindus. Both the parties have the same kind of strategy to polarize the electorate on religious lines. AIUDF and BJP are two sides of the same coin,” Gogoi said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
He, however, said the people would see through their game plan to grab power by relegating their ideological differences to the backburner. “The best thing is that the people of Assam can see through their game-plan to grab power. The fact remains that the Congress is well poised to win by fighting the Assembly polls alone,” the CM said.
‘Restore Special Category status’
The CM on Sunday requested Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to immediately restore the Special Category status of Assam and augment central assistance to the State Plan during the formulation of the Union Budget 2016-17. In a letter on Sunday, Gogoi urged Jaitley to release pending CST compensation due to the Assam. He asked him to earmark appropriate Budget provisions to enable the Assam to get enhanced royalty on crude oil, VAT and other taxes on actual market price and not on the basis of heavily discounted sale price.