The ruling BJD in Odisha on Saturday denied ticket to eight sitting MLAs including former Finance Minister Prafulla Chandra Ghadai and two sitting MPs while announcing its candidates for 19 assembly and four Lok Sabha constituencies.
The sitting MLAs having denied ticket included Prafulla Ghadai (Sukinda), Parsuram Panigrahi (Simulia), Nabin Nanda (Dhenkanal), Rabindranath Bhoi (Tirtol), Arabinda Dhali (Jaydev), Rabindra Mallick (Kakatpur), Prasant Nanda (Begunia), Rabi Narayan Pani (Pallahara).
However, sons of two senior leaders were given ticket in place of their fathers. Pritiranjan Ghadai, also a sitting MLA from Korei, has been renominated, but he will contest from Sukinda which was represented by his father Prafulla Ghadai. Similarly, sitting MLA Parsuram Panigrahi’s son Jyoti Prakash Panigrahi will contend from his father’s constituency of Simulia of Balasore district.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Among new faces, BJD supremo Naveen Patnaik has given ticket to cinestar Akash Das Nayak, son of prominent trade union leader Mayadhar Nayak, to contest from Korei seat. Other new faces in the list are: Jyoti Prakash Panigrahi, Dr Rajeswari Mallick and Surendra Bhoi.
Patnaik retained sitting MLAs : Jiban Pradip Das (Balasore), Jugal Kishore Patnaik (Bhadrak), health minister Damodar Rout (Paradip), Prasanta Muduli (Balikuda-Ersama), Bishnu Das (Jagatsinghpur), Hrushikesh Nayak (Patna), Bijay Mohanty (Bhubaneswar-central), Ashok Panda (Ekamra-Bhubaneswar) and Higher Education minister Badri Narayan Patra (Ghasipura).
The BJD supremo fielded Rajya Sabha MP Sashi Bhusan Behera in Jaydev assembly segment while denying ticket to former minister and sitting MLA Arabinda Dhali.
While announcing the candidates for the four Lok Sabha seats, Patnaik retained sitting MP Prasanna Patsani from Bhubaneswar while denying ticket to Jajpur MP Mohan Jena and Keonjhar MP Yoshwant Singh Laguri. Mohan Jena has been replaced by Rita Tarai while
Sakuntala Laguri will contest from keonjhar in place of her husband. Patnaik named a local popular doctor Kulamani Samal
as the BJD candidate for Jagatsinghpur Lok Sabha seat presently held by CPI.