The ruling BJD in Odisha on Saturday denied ticket to eight sitting MLAs including former Finance Minister Prafulla Chandra Ghadai and two sitting MPs while announcing its candidates for 19 assembly and four Lok Sabha constituencies.
The sitting MLAs having denied ticket included Prafulla Ghadai (Sukinda), Parsuram Panigrahi (Simulia), Nabin Nanda (Dhenkanal), Rabindranath Bhoi (Tirtol), Arabinda Dhali (Jaydev), Rabindra Mallick (Kakatpur), Prasant Nanda (Begunia), Rabi Narayan Pani (Pallahara).
However, sons of two senior leaders were given ticket in place of their fathers. Pritiranjan Ghadai, also a sitting MLA from Korei, has been renominated, but he will contest from Sukinda which was represented by his father Prafulla Ghadai. Similarly, sitting MLA Parsuram Panigrahi’s son Jyoti Prakash Panigrahi will contend from his father’s constituency of Simulia of Balasore district.
Among new faces, BJD supremo Naveen Patnaik has given ticket to cinestar Akash Das Nayak, son of prominent trade union leader Mayadhar Nayak, to contest from Korei seat. Other new faces in the list are: Jyoti Prakash Panigrahi, Dr Rajeswari Mallick and Surendra Bhoi.
Patnaik retained sitting MLAs : Jiban Pradip Das (Balasore), Jugal Kishore Patnaik (Bhadrak), health minister Damodar Rout (Paradip), Prasanta Muduli (Balikuda-Ersama), Bishnu Das (Jagatsinghpur), Hrushikesh Nayak (Patna), Bijay Mohanty (Bhubaneswar-central), Ashok Panda (Ekamra-Bhubaneswar) and Higher Education minister Badri Narayan Patra (Ghasipura).
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The BJD supremo fielded Rajya Sabha MP Sashi Bhusan Behera in Jaydev assembly segment while denying ticket to former minister and sitting MLA Arabinda Dhali.
While announcing the candidates for the four Lok Sabha seats, Patnaik retained sitting MP Prasanna Patsani from Bhubaneswar while denying ticket to Jajpur MP Mohan Jena and Keonjhar MP Yoshwant Singh Laguri. Mohan Jena has been replaced by Rita Tarai while
Sakuntala Laguri will contest from keonjhar in place of her husband. Patnaik named a local popular doctor Kulamani Samal
as the BJD candidate for Jagatsinghpur Lok Sabha seat presently held by CPI.