Three mysterious hoardings came up in Bhopal Wednesday, welcoming L K Advani to contest from this constituency. They were seemingly authorised by the BJP’s district unit, though no one is spelling out who actually put them up and at whose instructions they were removed around noon, State leaders did not disown them either, attributing the message to workers’ wishes.
Coming after sitting MP Kailash Joshi’s invitation to Advani, Wednesday’s “message” fuelled conspiracy theories about the rivalry between Narendra Modi and Advani, the latter’s newfound love for Bhopal, his closeness to Shivraj Singh Chouhan whose achievements he rates higher than Modi’s — besides local rivalries.
Bhopal district chief Alok Sharma is a contender for the seat and so was Joshi till very recently, besides mayor Krishna Gaur. Joshi, who in 2009 had refused to vacate the seat for Sushma Swaraj saying he was no football, went into a sulk after Advani’s candidature was announced from Gandhinagar because he had vacated the seat for him. Until last week, Joshi had dug his heels in before he was persuaded to retire gracefully.
Former chief minister Babulal Gaur, Krishna’s father-in-law, maintained he was confident about her candidature because Advani would contest only from Gandhinagar. There was talk that the display of posters was a result of rivalry among local contenders bent on scuttling one another’s chances.
TV channels fuelled some of the gossip by announcing the posters had come up across the city when, in fact, there were only three — Roshanpura Square, Lal Parade Ground and Moti Masjid.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In the end, the interest in the seat remained unrequited because the party chose not to announce a candidate.
The BJP has held Bhopal for two-and-a-half decades. This was one reason why Sushma had wanted to contest from here in 2009.