- The Big Picture: What’s AAP
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Bus from Burari laden with volunteers and hope
- Rare day out for AAP families
- Riot of support for AAP in communal hot spots
- Hunt on for CM house, will not accept Z-plus security
- No word from high command, Delhi Congress in a paralysis
- Latest News
- Second time at Ramlila Maidan: Hope overrides their doubts
- Kejriwal has no portfolio, will keep an eye on others
- In sea of white caps, BJP troika plans to be ‘forceful opposition’
- MP, MLA see Punjab as the next AAP stop
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Arvind Kejriwal repeats his advice to sting the corrupt, asks police to act against ‘goondagardi’
- Proud that one of our volunteers has become Delhi CM: Anna Hazare
- Arvind Kejriwal not to keep any portfolio
- Now an Aam Aadmi Party Cola by beverage-maker inspired by Arvind Kejriwal’s party
- New chief minister Arvind Kejriwal holds meetings at Delhi Secretariat
- Cong’s Ajay Maken blames Sheila Dikshit for Delhi polls debacle
- Left, right, AAP
Bengal electorates have interesting choices this election
With film stars, football icons and famous singers dotting the Bengal electoral landscape in addition to the seasoned politicians, the state’s electorate this time are presented with interesting choices in the Lok Sabha elections.
Long used to hearing loud and vapid speeches of the hardcore politicians, the voters are now delighted to listen to the unconventional, elegant speeches of the political greenhorns.
From superstar Dev to screen diva Moonmoon Sen to former India football team captain Baichung Bhutia to musician Bappi Lahiri and magician P C Sorkar Jr, the voters have never had it so good. “I never thought in my wildest dreams that someday I willbe able to see Dev from so close,” said star-struck Sumita Adhikari, a resident of Ghatal, a small town about 140 km from here under Ghatal constituency in West Midnapore district.
Commanding a mass following, film star Dev is the Trinamool Congress candidate from Ghatal and his first speech as a politician last week had left the crowd, mostly of young people, spell bound. It is the same with magician P C Sorkar, who has heldshows all over the world, fighting from Barasat as a BJP nominee.
“The jadugar (magician) I dreamt to be all my childhood and even in my teens, was so near and I shook hands with him. It’s just magic,” said Bijoy Chatterjee of Barasat. Performing roadshows in different localities in his constituency, Sorkar even performed some quick magic responding to his innumerable fans’ desires and to rounds of applause.
The ruling Trinamool Congress in West Bengal has fielded cinestars Dev (Ghatal), Moonmoon Sen (Bankura) and Sandhya Roy (Midnapore) for the first time. Satabdi Roy and Tapas Pal are sitting MPs of the party who have been renominated from their respective constituencies of Birbhum and Krishnagar.
While Baichung Bhutia has been fielded by Trinamool Congress from the high-strung Darjeeling seat, another soccer star of yesteryears Prasun Banerjee has been fielded by the party from Howrah, where he won in a by-election in 2013.
The party has also fielded singers Indranil Sen (Behrampore) and Soumitra Roy (Malda North) and thespian Arpita Ghosh (Balurghat).
“Several new faces have been inducted to give our candidate list a truly representative look,” Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee said on Facebook.
BJP has also fielded an array of showbiz people in different constituencies in the state with musician Bappi Lahiri (Serampore), singer Babul Supriyo (Asansol) and Sorkar (Barasat) topping the charts. It has also fielded cine actors George Baker (Howrah), Joy Banerjee (Birbhum) and Nimu Bhowmik (Raiganj) from seats where it traditionally fielded political people.
Though it is to be seen how much the people’s craze will turn into votes for them, the people in their constituencies are at present enjoying their presence. Asked why so many stars have been fielded instead of party officials as continued…