Riled by the ban imposed to prevent him from campaigning in Uttar Pradesh, senior Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan on Thursday again hit out at the Election Commission saying the poll body cannot behave like ‘God’ and it should take actions best suited for a democratic setup.
“The Election Commission cannot behave like God! Instead it should adopt a line of action best suited for democracy and in the spirit of the Constitution,” Khan said.
He asked the poll body to “exhibit courage” and cancel his membership of Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
The EC on April 23 issued a fresh show-cause notice to Khan for reportedly making objectionable remarks against it and circumventing a ban imposed on him from campaigning in UP.
The show-cause notice was issued to the senior SP leader days after the EC banned him from campaigning in the state following his controversial ‘Kargil’ remarks.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Khan said, “I dont need any person’s kindness or leniency since I have been acknowledged as a man of principles and high ideals from the beginning of my political career.”
The senior SP leader alleged that the EC behaved differently and in a partial manner with him because he was a Muslim.
“A person (Amit Shah) who has widely been termed as a hooligan or assassin of humanity by different political bodies as well as widely acknowledged personalities representing social, religious and political fields was allowed to deliver speeches and campaign for BJP’s candidates, but because I happen to be a Muslim so the EC has taken action against me,” he said.