Having lifted the ban on BJP leader Amit Shah’s poll campaign in Uttar Pradesh after he apologised, the Election Commission could take a lenient view in the case of Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan also as he is learnt to have conveyed his regret.
The EC had earlier halted the poll campaigns of both the leaders in UP following a series of inflammatory speeches.
Speaking at the Idea Exchange interaction held at The Indian Express on Tuesday, Election Commissioner H S Brahma confirmed that Khan had sent a fresh reply to the EC, the tone and tenor of which conveyed a climbdown from his earlier aggressive posturing. “We are examining his reply. A decision will be taken shortly,” said Brahma.
He said the ban on Shah’s campaign was lifted after he expressed regret. “Within 24 hours, Shah gave an apology despite defending himself by saying that his words were not meant the way they were interpreted. He conveyed regret, he apologised and assured the commission that he won’t repeat such an act,” said Brahma.
Asked if an apology was enough, he said, “We are a line referee. Our job is to ensure that everybody plays the game in the manner that it is supposed to be played.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review