Suggesting that Muslims have contributed to Narendra Modi’s victory in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, SP leader Azam Khan, who had indulged in a vitriolic attack on the BJP leader, said they had proved that they were a “secular” community.
“Narendra Modi’s victory in the Lok Sabha polls has amply proved that Indian Muslims were and are secular,” he told reporters here on Sunday evening.
The UP Minister, however, said that the Muslims were lured by “false promises” made by BJP even as he defended Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and SP supremo Mulayam Yadav and blamed UPA’s policies for the party’s drubbing in the state.
“Since the Muslim electorate did not have a political agenda to defeat anybody, they were trapped into believing false promises and supported such a political establishment (BJP),” he said.
Khan, who had been appealing to the minority community to get Modi defeated in the Lok Sabha elections, had made several caustic attacks against the BJP leader over his alleged role in the 2002 Godhra riots and even referred to him as “an elder brother of a dog’s pup”.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Khan was later barred from participation in campaign by the Election Commission for making provocative speeches.
On BJP leader Kalraj Mishra’s demand for Akhilesh’s resignation, Khan said the dismal performance of Samajwadi Party was due to UPA’s wrong policies and mismanagement of economy and that there was no need for the UP CM to resign.
“The debacle which SP tasted was the result of UPA government’s loot, inflation and corruption. Hence, Akhilesh Yadav need not to resign.
“The hardship being faced by the country today emerged during UPA’s “sinful governance” in past ten years,” he said. He also said that “persons raising such demands were not maintaining sound mental health.”
Defending SP’s support to Congress rule, Khan said, “We had extended our support so as to check communal forces from holding the reins of the government.”
On being asked about SP losing deposit in UP as compared to other regional parties which had registered victory in their respective states, Khan said, “Ayodhya, Kashi, Mathura, and Muzaffarnagar happen to remain in UP and electorate here were promised of ‘sunahare sapne’ (golden future). They were misguided to the maximum extent”.
Azam challenged the new elected representatives of Lok Sabha seats in Uttar Pradesh to fulfil their promises and end the problems of corruption and unemployment in the state.