UP minister Azam Khan, known for his frequent barbs against the Prime Minister, surprised MLAs from all parties with unusual ‘gifts’ of a broom and a pen along with a letter asking them to decide which among the two can take on the evils in the society.
“I am giving two gifts (pen and broom). You all should decide which one could eradicate sins in the society and which reminds you that you can not treat the society only by slogans,” he said.
Khan’s gift is seen as a covert attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who has given slogan for ‘Swacch Bharat Abhiyan’.
- Mohanlal picks up broom to support PM Modi's Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
- Gandhi Jayanti 2017 LIVE updates: If 125 crore people come together, we can fulfill dream of Swachh Bharat, says PM Modi
- PM Modi writes to celebrities across fields to promote 'Clean India'
- Songs, sweets, slogans: Varanasi govt schools mark PM Modi's b’day
- Swachh Bharat was not just a photo ops moment: Salman Khan
- 3 weeks later, BJP MLAs decide to return Azam’s gift of broom
The minister, earlier during the session, had attacked the PM on the issue by saying that he had given broom in people’s hand and took away pen from them.
The strolley bag, carrying pen, broom and his letter, was sent to legislators after the end of assembly session on March 26.
In the letter to MLAs, Khan also said: “You have seen and tested me. I am not the one what people say, but the one whom your heart knows. I know you are truthful and realise truth,” Commenting on the ‘gifts’, BJP legislator Radha Mohan Das Agarwal said PM had given a good message in the society by launching the cleanliness drive, which he (Azam) could not digest.
“By gifting broom he has only propagated the ideology of the PM,” Agarwal said.
BSP legislator Ram Prasad Chowdhury said that he had received the ‘gift’ but he did not see the letter till now as he had left for his constituency after the session was over.
Congress has termed the ‘gift’ as an admission of tacit understanding between SP and BJP.
“The gift is an admission of an understanding between SP and BJP. It seems that he has tried to disclose the understanding in indications by giving a broom with pen,” Congress legislator Nadeem Javed said.