In what may be called the strict measures by Election Commission to ensure free and fair polls, Union Health Minister and former State Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had to face a piquant situation when Presiding Officer at a polling booth here stopped him from casting his vote in Jammu parliamentary constituency following his failure to produce any document regarding his identity proof.
Later, he was allowed to cast vote after a local Congress leader at the polling station intervened and told presiding officer Maharaj Krishan that he personally knew Azad and hence he be allowed to exercise his right to franchise.
Trouble erupted as Azad reached the polling booth carrying a voter slip which did not carry his photograph. On being asked by the presiding officer about any other document as proof of his identity, he failed to respond.
Significantly, Azad is a Congress nominee in Udhampur parliamentary constituency which is going to polls on April 17.
The Election Commission has this time issued photo ID voter slips to the electorates. However, in case of voters whose voter slips do not carry photograph, they are supposed to carry other photo IDs to establish their identity.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Meanwhile, brisk polling was in progress at all places in Jammu parliamentary constituency. No untoward incident was reported from any place.