The Assam unit of the BJP, which won 7 seats out of 14 in the state, expects to have proper representation in the portfolio of Union ministers in Narendra Modi government.
Addressing a press conference here, BJP Assam Unit President Sarbananda Sonowal said “For the development of Assam and North East, we hope the Central leadership will keep in mind proper representation of MPs from the state.” Sonowal, who has been elected to the Lok Sabha from Lakhimpur constituency, declined to comment whether the seven MPs from Assam will demand any particular portfolio.
On the bilateral agreement between India and Bangladesh regarding swapping of border land, the BJP leader said the party’s stand remains the same. “We did not support this agreement. The agreement will be valid only when it is passed in the Parliament. We will not allow it to be passed,” he said.
Sonowal also refrained from giving a direct answer on what step BJP will take to deport illegal Bangladeshi immigrants from India. “Our stand is the same. We will put forward our case to the Central government,” he added. On separate statehood demands by different groups in Assam, Sonowal said, “We will have to discuss with them.”
Asked what will be the top priority of the new government to the state, he said, “Flood and erosion are two serious problems that are affecting Assam since 1951. Bangladeshi issue is also very important that is threatening our identity.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Without giving a clear answer whether the new government will audit utilisation of Central funds in Assam, Sonowal said, “Modi ji had clearly said that we have to see how the funds have been utilised. We have to see whether the Central funds were utilised or not or someone siphoned them off.” He said the new government will work towards completion of all the Central government projects to make a strong, peaceful and vibrant Assam.