Nagaland Governor Ashwani Kumar became the third person to resign from the post after the NDA government sounded out some governors appointed during the UPA regime to do so. His resignation was on the cards as he had informed the government a few days ago that he will put in his papers soon.
“I am relaxing at home in Shimla. I have sent my resignation even though I was never asked to resign from the post. Only hint I got was that it’s a policy decision of the government. So I did not take much time to decide as I had made up my mind some time back,” he told The Indian Express.
The resignation of 63-year-old Kumar came days after Union home secretary Anil Goswami called some of the governors appointed by the previous UPA regime to step down after the Narendra Modi government assumed charge. The next governor in line to quit is M K Narayanan from West Bengal, who has asked for three more days to wind up from Raj Bhavan.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi and Chhattisgarh Governor Shekhar Dutt put in their papers last week. All three governors who have resigned so far are either former IPS or IAS officers. However, no governor with a political background has stepped down so far.
A former CBI director, Kumar took charge as Nagaland Governor in March 2013 and also held the position of Manipur Governor between July 29, 2013 and December 23, 2013. The former IPS officer also served as Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation. He held the position when the agency arrested BJP general secretary Amit Shah in connection with the Sohrabuddin Sheikh alleged fake encounter case in Gujarat.
Earlier in the day, Home Minister Rajnath Singh said he could not rule out the possibility of some new governors being appointed before the budget session of Parliament starts July 7. “I will not rule out anything now… I will be able to tell you only after 3-4 days,” he said.